Hundreds of thousands of people flock to French ski chalets during the winter months, but have you ever wondered what happens to them outside the ski season? Unlike snow, they will not melt until next year, but they will remain in the depths of the Alps among the pristine mountains.
If you are more of an outdoor sun lover than a snow bunny, then these beautiful chalets can offer you the perfect summer vacation.
Summer holidays in the French Alps
While these mountains may be a slightly more obvious playground when covered in snow, they can give you just as much excitement during the summer. Just like a beach holiday, you can count on clear blue skies and warm temperatures with plenty of activities to keep the whole family entertained.
Are you tired of coming back from vacation and finding sand everywhere for the next three months?
Why spend tedious hours action for space on crowded beaches when you could relax next to a crystal clear and calm mountain lake. Sounds too good to be true? This is not the matter, the unspoilt landscape of the French Alps offers the perfect destinations for those who just want a holiday where they can relax and taste the local specialties.
If you are the kind of person who likes to get out and explore nature, you are in luck. During the summer months, the Alps have a huge amount of activities, giving you a perfect platform for a fun holiday. A handful of things you can do include:
- Hiking through the beautiful alpine landscape
- Swimming pools with slides and activity tracks
- Do you want something more natural? Many swimmers are available
- Go rock climbing
- Participate in white water rafting
- Rent a kayak and explore the nearby rivers and lakes
- A large selection of mountain bike routes with difficulties for everyone
- The Tignes bike park offers free access to all their trails
- Enduro? They have it in the Alps!
- There is a lot of open campaign so that you can also get your hard-earned miles
- Horseback ride through the Alps
- Go on a canyoning adventure
- Play tennis, volleyball or badminton
- Go on an Acro bungee jump
- Be adventurous on a paragliding excursion
- Rip around the mountains on quads
As you can see, there is more than enough to keep you and your family entertained throughout your stay. If you fancy a family day out, the famous Lake Annecy – the cleanest lake in Europe – is only an hour’s drive away and well worth a visit!
Do You Really Like Skiing?
It will surprise you that even at the height of summer, skiing is still practiced on various alpine glaciers. As a rule, these slopes open early in the morning and close around lunchtime, which gives you a few hours of summer skiing. One of the best glaciers to ski in the summer is in La Plagne and as if that wasn’t enough, there is a Snowpark where you can keep your skills cool all summer long.
About the author – SnowChateaux offers a range of summer offers for anyone looking for a perfect summer holiday in the French Alps. We offer our guests a first-class service with superbly placed accommodation, giving you a summer holiday that you will remember for a lifetime.